I’m parked at Shine Tidelands and it’s raining, because of course it’s raining. Other cars are pulling in, they must have got the text messages too. Suddenly the cars banging over the bridge stops and all I hear are birds and the raindrops hitting the grass. There are two fishing boats anchored right off the rocky beach. I’m pretty far away, but I can see the drawbridge start to open and a sailboat comes through. Cool.
Jefferson County in Washington State is amazing. It’s much more rural than Kitsap and the areas closer to Seattle. The Hood Canal bridge is what separates Kitsap and Jefferson counties. It’s a floating drawbridge over a 600ft deep canal carved out by glaciers once upon a time. The view on clear days is amazing.
Places We’ve Visited So Far
1. Rocky Brook Waterfall, Quilcene
2. Murhut Falls, Quilcene 0.9 mile hike
3. Marymere Falls, Lake Crescent 1.5 mile hike
4. Shine Tidelands, Port Ludlow
5. Dosewallops State Park and Tidelands, Brinnon
6. Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park
7. Fort Flagler State Park, Nordland
8. Fort Worden/Point Wilson Lighthouse, Port Townsend